Sunday, September 11, 2011

Week 1: New Beginnings

As today is the tenth anniversary of 9/11, I am glad we will celebrate our country by doing something very American - watching professional football.  

Courtesy of John Skelson.
So much as changed since that fateful day.  This morning I was thinking about how I found out about the planes crashing into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and the field in Pennsylvania.  I was a second year student at MCD and we were in our morning prayer time.  One guy's cell phone kept ringing and ringing.  Since it was his mom, he thought there was a family emergency.  There were no Facebook or CNN smartphone apps to send us a push notification about the breaking news.  He answered his phone and then broke the news to us.  I remember sitting in the pastor's office watching the only TV in the church and not really understanding what was I seeing on the screen.  It would take days and weeks to fully grasp what happened to the United States that day.  

I don't know anyone who died on 9/11/01 but I do have several friends who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan because of that day.  One of them is serving in Baghdad right now.  I am very proud to be an American and I'm glad we have a today like today where differences are set aside and we all tune in to cheer on our favorite team and remember those who fought and continue to fight for freedom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment