Sunday, November 21, 2010

Week 11: Hand cuffs and hang outs

Arrested? No problem.

Did Williams learn he was untouchable at USC?
Courtesy of msnbcmedia.com.
Another NFL player is arrested and charged for driving under the influence of alcohol but still gets to play.  Early Friday morning Tampa Bay Buccaneers rookie Mike Williams was found to be under the legal alcohol limit of 0.08 but failed a sobriety test.  Supposedly his coach said he "owes him" one but he is still scheduled to play this week against the 49ers.  There is other evidence still pending.

I have a problem with that.  Why don't players face any consequences with the NFL when they commit crimes?  At least in Texas, a DUI is now a felony.  If I committed a felony, I would have a very difficult time finding a job.  I might have to work at McDonald's for the rest of my life.  Yet players continue to play and earn millions of dollars.

Fans (and dog lovers across the world) were really angry when Michael Vick came back to the NFL after his dog fighting conviction.  But the man went to federal prison, paid back money to the NFL, and is still volunteering time to teach kids how to learn from his bad example.  He earned about a million dollars last season, but that's a lot less than his record breaking contract with the Falcons.

Donte Stallworth, a wide receiver for the Baltimore Ravens, was convicted of DUI and second degree manslaughter in 2009.  He was sentenced to only 30 days in jail, 1,000 hours of community service, and 8 years of probation.  Stallworth was suspended from the NFL for one year and is back on the field.

Now I don't know many criminals, so I also don't know the consequences a regular guy would face in these situations.  I just think pro football players (and any other type of celebrity) should have the same punishments as the rest of us.  No special treatment please.

The Titans are fun

Randy Moss says he's enjoying his new team (the Titans) because they know when to have fun.  Yeah, that's the most important part of a job.  All I know is that my potential employers always wanted me to work hard.

More from me tomorrow

It's difficult to write about the good guys because they rarely make headlines.  There aren't any new relationships or babies either.  I'll try to find some fun news and have a special Monday night post.  Thanks to all the loyal readers.  Don't forget to Follow me!

No comments:

Post a Comment